I'm here!
Hello from the M/V Explorer. Got down to Nassau, Bahamas last night, everything went pretty smoothly. The Atlantis hotel was pretty sweet, and it was impossible NOT to run in to Semester at Sea kids--there were hundreds of us there. So, yeah, went to dinner with a group of kids, and spent the rest of the night in the hotel lobby having some drinks and meeting anyone and everyone who seemed interesting.
Got on the boat this morning--I was all checked in and everything by 9 AM. Since then, instead of unpacking, I have again just been finding people to hang out with and meet. It really feels like Freshman year all over again--we are travelling in huge groups and if you are bored, just go up to the large congregation of people standing around and chat it up. Hopefully we will start getting past the point of just introductions soon--you can only answer the question "What school do you go to" so many times. My roommate is a kid named Gavin from UCSB. He is cool, VERY California, reminds me of Thomas, my freshman roommate. I am pretty sure we are gonna get along well--he is a chill and also enjoys the herb. Him and I went off the boat with a couple other kids and hit up a bar while everyone else was checking in, which was sweet. We also completed some successful alcohol smuggling for this first leg of the journey.
The boat is fucking SWEET. It is a cruise ship in every way. The rooms are small (bigger than I expected actually), but really nice. They even have housekeeping come in and clean your rooms everyday! First 4 floors of the boat are almost exclusively lodging, floor 5 has a cafeteria and more rooms, and floor 6 is the heart of the ship, with all of the classrooms, lounges, computer cluster, and another cafeteria. The food The deck is nice and spacious, so I think I will be spending a lot of time outdoors. The only minor negative is the "pool" is literally 6' square, but oh well.
So we are scheduled to start sailing in about half an hour, and will be at sea 4 days before getting to Venezuela. Tomorrow is just orientation all day, which is cool becuase it means classes don't start. OK, that's it for now, more to come when I have some interesting shit to tell.
Got on the boat this morning--I was all checked in and everything by 9 AM. Since then, instead of unpacking, I have again just been finding people to hang out with and meet. It really feels like Freshman year all over again--we are travelling in huge groups and if you are bored, just go up to the large congregation of people standing around and chat it up. Hopefully we will start getting past the point of just introductions soon--you can only answer the question "What school do you go to" so many times. My roommate is a kid named Gavin from UCSB. He is cool, VERY California, reminds me of Thomas, my freshman roommate. I am pretty sure we are gonna get along well--he is a chill and also enjoys the herb. Him and I went off the boat with a couple other kids and hit up a bar while everyone else was checking in, which was sweet. We also completed some successful alcohol smuggling for this first leg of the journey.
The boat is fucking SWEET. It is a cruise ship in every way. The rooms are small (bigger than I expected actually), but really nice. They even have housekeeping come in and clean your rooms everyday! First 4 floors of the boat are almost exclusively lodging, floor 5 has a cafeteria and more rooms, and floor 6 is the heart of the ship, with all of the classrooms, lounges, computer cluster, and another cafeteria. The food The deck is nice and spacious, so I think I will be spending a lot of time outdoors. The only minor negative is the "pool" is literally 6' square, but oh well.
So we are scheduled to start sailing in about half an hour, and will be at sea 4 days before getting to Venezuela. Tomorrow is just orientation all day, which is cool becuase it means classes don't start. OK, that's it for now, more to come when I have some interesting shit to tell.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home